Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Porters Week That Was


Sorry folks I'm putting my selfish hat on and recording what we did so I can look back later, probably best to hit the back button now and save you from some Georgie dribble :) Far out it was quite an eventful week! Sunday we dropped Charlotte at Hindmarsh Island where she spent 5 nights with nana and occasional appearances from pop when he wasn't working or helping us out with future strategies for work, so she could finish Learn To Swim Lessons at Victor Harbor. I'm so proud of her, she got to level 4 when I thought she'd just get her level one. Today the Porter Family went to her "secret beach" where she had been practising all week today at Victor (a man made tidal canal thingo) and whoa she really can swim!!! Amazing. I'd be lying if it's not a bit bittersweet, selfishly I had really wanted to see her progress, I was only able to attend 2 out of the 9 lessons due to work, but that's the sacrifice unfortunately :( and it was better than having her with us but not being able to complete the programme because we had to work.
So back at the big house we had Angus and Nicko, with a couple of nights with Pop. It was lovely spending one on one time with the Gus man, but he really missed Charlotte (Charlotte on the other hand didn't miss him too much at all, she was too busy being a princess with nana and going out to dinner in her pretty Fred Bare dresses every night!).
Big decisions continue to be made with the future of work, I'll elaborate later when everything falls into place (hopefully!), but I am really optimistic about our future career paths (and may well be hitting up you Trudi for some career advice!). It seems I get a 7 year itch in careers and not marriages which is a good thing.
We had to express our intended future direction to the head of our buying group and the owner of our shelving supplier who was over from NZ this week (on the same day actually), lots of mixed emotions and pleas for Nick and I to stick with the business, but we'll see what happens..........anyone who manages to work with their husbands day in day out for nearly 7 years should be farking knighted I reckon!
So while work was the dominating force my good old buyer of the ugly shoes, my gorgeous mother, stepped in and had Angus on Wednesday, Thursday and overnight, dropped him at daycare Friday so we had plenty of time to strategise workwise without the Gusman. And boy did she show him a good time! He went to "Circus Ringbarkus", an apparently amazing show featuring dogs whom have all been rescued from pounds, and a trip to the Maritime Museum which involved scaring the crap out of grandma beforehand by insisting on climbing to the top of the Port Adelaide lighthouse before the "Pirate Show" at the Maritime Museum where lo and behold that gregarious little boy of mine ended up on stage :) Once again I wished I was there, but I am just so grateful that I have a wonderful support network of amazing family here to help us out. We are really really really lucky and I appreciate all of it.
I picked up Angus on Friday after childcare complete with his ritual Friday can of Lemonade, which he told me was "cold and delectable", they teach them some weird words at Montessori LOL, then we went to look at the new house and whoa it had windows and sliding doors with the guttering being delivered as well cooooool. Alas no sign of bricks yet, but the new joint is really starting to take shape and get me all excited!
I think I've dribbled enough, next week's "The Porters Week That Was" will hopefully contain more exciting news with the cards falling the way I want them to. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

lippy2790 said...

I know the decisions about work can't be easy, pros/cons and all that. You just gotta do what is do-able for all the gorgy Porter family. I know in the end you guys will make the right choice for you for the long term
Love you all xxx

Trudi said...

WOW big decisions huh! I'm with you though, 7 years working with your DH deserves the biggest medal EVER!

You know thing I loved the best about working for someone else again. All the little perks - sick leave, holidays, knowing exactly what $$ are coming in, the leave work and no stress feeling. Things you just don't get with your own business.

But that being said, there ARE days when I miss my lil Roadhouse in crummy Pt Wakefield SOOOOOO much!

I'm sure you guys will make whatever choices work best for you.

And my hat goes of to all of your family aren't they an amazing support!

Georgie said...

Thanks Jacq and Trudi, we are still waiting to hear re the "easy" option for a sale (bloody Queenslanders :P), will keep you posted xxx