Friday, January 11, 2008

Adelaide is awesome for deja vus!

It's been funny the last month, kind of like Groundhog Day 30 years on.
I first had that feeling when I took the kids to the Christmas pageant with mum. She had it in her head we were going to take the kids, I really wasn't that interested. I got so excited about the pageant that when Charlotte was 14mths old we trekked into town, walked for miles, got a crap spot, couldn't see much and then she spewed on me! So I was a bit off the pageant after that.
Mum lamented the fact that when we were kids we went with family friends, and Alan's consulting rooms were smack bang on North Terrace. We had a great view and used to catch the bus in. As I recall the oldies also got into the festive spirit with champagne, and more than once year we were pestering the oldies to go home as the pageant had finished 2 hours ago!
Luckily mum's determination (and bellyful of champers at a Melbourne Cup Lunch auction) saw her "win" 4 VIP seats to the pageant and we had a great morning and I'm really glad I went.


The same thing when I took Charlotte and Angus to see Father Christmas at the Magic Cave, pretty much the same cave that I visited with my mum when I was a kid. It's seems so much smaller now!




And this week we have had Learn To Swim lessons which I did when I was a kid like 30 years ago! I remember them well also, and Charlotte is loving it. We used to walk to Burnside Pool, and if we were good we got a Pez and a packet of Toobs (you don't reckon I'm happy those magical gems are back on the shelves!). I also remember Learn To Swim as during one lesson on a hot Advegas day mum left our budgies in their cage on the clothesline in the full sun and by the time we got home, well they were dead. Poor old Sturt and Bananas (yes my brother and I named them LOL).
And I've seen 3 girls who I went to school with this week who I haven't seen for ages, 2 in the supermarket on the one day and another one has her kids at Learn To Swim too. And my biology teacher is there also with her grandchildren. We have our 20 year reunion in May this year, can't wait, but also can't believe it's 20 years since I left school!
Adelaide is good like that, things change but remain the same.

No comments: